Monday, January 30, 2012

Rangpur Lime Bars



In these winter months there is nothing I love more than filling up my fruit bowl with every variety of citrus I can find, you might say that we are having a bit of a love affair. So when I saw that the gals from food52 had picked up some harder to find varieties over at Eataly I scooted my boots right over to their beautiful produce department to round out my collection. There were page mandarins and mandarinquats, stem and leaf meyer lemons, a few varieties of kumquats, bergamots, lots of things I don't remember, and then there were the rangpur limes. They are limes that aren't really limes at all, those sneaks. Rangpurs are a cross between mandarins and a lemons and they are thin skinned with tart, puckery juice that almost has a hint of spice. I picked up four of the little golf ball sized fruits along with some other treats and admired them in my fruit bowl for a few days, not sure what to do with my precious bounty. I wanted to make something that would really highlight their flavor and eventually decided that bars would be the way to go. I combined a crisp shortbread crust with a creamy tart curd spiked with a little bit of fresh ginger and I have to say, they knocked the socks off of any lemon bar I've ever had.

Rangpur Lime Bars

Preheat oven to 350º and line the bottom and sides of an 8x8 or 9x9 square metal baking pan with foil

For the Crust
adapted from Alice Medrich

1c flour
1T cornstarch
2T sugar
1/4t salt
1t vanilla extract
7T melted butter

In a medium bowl, whisk together the butter, sugar, vanilla and salt. Add in the flour and corn starch and stir well to combine, the mixture will appear greasy. Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan and bake for 25-30min or until the crust is golden brown.

When the crust is ready turn down the oven to 300º

For the Filling
make this while the crust is baking

1/2c rangpur lime juice, from 3-4 limes
2t rangpur lime zest
3eggs + 1yolk
1/2t grated fresh ginger (optional)
1T sour cream
3/4c sugar
3T flour

1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and sugar. Add the eggs and egg yolk and whisk well to combine. Lastly add in the sour cream, rangpur lime juice, zest, and the grated ginger.
2. Pour the mixture on top of the hot crust, tap the pan to release any air bubbles and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the topping is set and jiggles slightly in the center.

Cool completely before slicing into squares and dust with confectioner's sugar before serving. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.

Notes:

- If you don't have access to rangpur limes, meyer lemons are a great substitute. In a pinch, you can use regular lemons, just up the sugar to about 1c.
- If you don't have sour cream on hand you can substitute 1T heavy cream or 1T creme fraiche.
- I used a 9x9 pan for this recipe and it made bars that were quite thin. I didn't mind this at all, but if you prefer a thicker bar use an 8x8 pan instead.


19 comments:

  1. You have now awakened a citrus bar craving in me. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished baking a batch of 'Double Stuffed Lime-Ooo Bars' a few minutes ago! These look delicious:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so jealous of your citrus gold mine. I've been DYING to find bergamot, but haven't sniffed out a source here in Boston yet. Your bars look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I did something really fun with my bergamot, I can't wait to post the recipe!

      Delete
  4. Where on earth can you get Rangpur limes from? I have only recently come to realise just how much of the citrus family I have never experienced!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Justin - I hadn't heard of them before this season either! I found mine at a specialty grocery store, but they may be available through mail order if you can't find any in your area.

      Delete
  5. What wonderful looking bars, I adore citrus flavours. Not sure I'd be able to get hold of rangpurs here in the UK, but they sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. when citrus is in season I'm always surprised to read about new citrus fruit I haven't discovered yet. Your bars look great. now if I only had a couple of those rangpur limes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roxanna - This recipe would be great with meyer lemons if you can get your hands on a few. I highly recommend it!

      Delete
    2. I am so fond of Lemon Bars I have never tried another citrus! Your Rangpur Lime Bars with ginger have me planning treason with my lemons! Lovely post.

      Delete
  7. Fresh ginger in the shortbread crust, this is brilliant. Thank you so much for sharing! Now excuse me whilst I google what a rangpur lime looks like...

    ReplyDelete
  8. holy crap yos, these look amazing. once again you make me want to lick my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey, dunno where you live in the city but fairway (at least the uws one) always has a large selection of specialty citrus as well...maybe not quite as intense as eatily's but the have rangpur limes, seville oranges (my obsession for savory cooking), bergamot oranges etc.. I also live in apt 2b btw! I will have to try these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nina- Thanks for the tip! I have gone to Fairway for citrus in the past, but haven't been yet this season. I will check it out.

      Delete
  10. These ones are on my to make list! Could you tell me specifically what you mean by t vs T in your measurements? Are t - teaspoons, and T tablespoons? Ex. 2T sugar, 1/4t salt..
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, glad you stopped by. You've got it, "T" indicates Tablespoon and "t" indicates teaspoon. Happy Baking!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the quick reply! Oh, I'll enjoy the baking alright! Anne

      Delete
  11. These were delicious! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, great article. I was just asking this same question to our team the other day. Great explanation. http://www.switzerlanddaily.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!